At first I was hesitant to pick up this novel. I’ve tried reading The Summer I Turned Pretty series a few years back, but had no luck with it. But I’m glad to pick up this fine, fluffy, elegant piece of literature. I found this novel so charming and enjoyable. I loved every aspect of this novel. From beginning to end this was a fast paced read with having short chapters. If I had enough time I could have probably finished this book in one day. Overall a fast paced contemporary romance novel that I couldn’t get enough of. 5/5 stars highly recommend. Now if it was only May so I could have the sequel…
Today I’m currently reading To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. Going into this novel I was a bit hesitant. I felt like I was going into a reading slump all thanks to The Scorch Trials by James Dashner, so I felt like picking up a contemporary wouldn’t be a wise choice. I thought I would enjoy something fast paced, but To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before has a fast pace feel! The chapters are short and sweet and all of them are normally under ten pages long. Not only the chapters are short and sweet, but this book gives me a cotton candy feel. So far everything is light, fluffy, and adorable! I’m really enjoying this novel and I can’t wait to finish it!
After finishing the last and final book in the Pretty Little Liars series I’ve decided I need an award. I’ve put up with all fifteen books to finally reach this last novel. Let’s just say I had very high hopes going into this installment, but I became quickly disappointed. I’ve broken down my review into two parts; pros and cons. Here are my thoughts about Vicious by Sara Shepard. Also if you haven’t read this book, this book review is full of spoilers just to warn you!
- I call sticking around for the final installment a pro. Seriously who puts up with all this crap and drama this series gave out and still reads it?
- I also loved how all the girls came together once more and all became friends. Much deserved happy ending.
- My first con has to be the pacing of this novel. While Toxic dragged on, I felt as if this novel lacked the speed and action it deserved. The beginning of the novel felt like it took forever to read, but once I moved past that, things were still quite slow. The only really plot twist we had was a huge predictable flop. I thought this novel would have tons of mystery, suspense, and a few big plot twists. Maybe my expectations got in the way, but I was very disappointed with this aspect.
- Prediction. I had many theories set up after Emily went “missing”. From that point on in the novel I made many predictions, and almost all of them came true. I was upset with this point hoping that this novel would have a more wow factor.
- How Ali got caught was another huge con of mine. This really let me down. I was hoping all the girls would catch her and not only serve her a taste of her own medicine, but get caught in an awesome way. It really upset me that the only one to find her was Emily. Not only that, but it took two seconds to take down Ali. I wished Ali and Emily had a bigger and greater fight against themselves rather than just a small fight in the lawn.
- And last but not least the ending. The last sentence to be exact. “Soon enough, I’m coming to get you all” WHAT THE HECK. WHY. JUST WHY. I was so mad it ended with this sentence. Like what the hell Sara Shepard. You can’t keep doing that and dragging out the series even longer than it needs to be. I get you want Ali to come back and get the girls. Whatever. I got that part. But this series could have ended at book eight and just been fine, but with stalling it out to be twice as long with nothing really happens between books seven and fifteen is just infuriating. Whatever. I’m just glad I’m done with this series now. Sorry about this short rant as well.
It’s safe to say that I’m glad this series is finally complete and that I finally finished it. I don’t think I will be picking up any other books by Sara Shepard for a long while. I wished this novel had a bit more action, mystery, suspense, or even a huge awesome plot twist. With being disappointed I decided to rate this book 2/5 stars. It would have been a one point five star rating, but since I’ve stuck along this far I’ve decided to bump it up to another star. My only advice about this novel and this series is either stop at book eight and save your time and money, or read till book eight and just skip to this book.